Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Art – 3D /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
As an Environment Artist you will have the opportunity to work on high quality landscapes in one of our exciting games. You will apply your keen visual, spatial and design skills on a range of artistic styles covered by Frontier's diverse and growing portfolio. You will also need to be able to combine your understanding of visual style and how it relates to the natural world, to take even a loose sketch to an inspiring location in-game.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Creating and/or modifying in-game landscape assets within a given timeframe and budget, to final quality.
- Populating in-game landscapes with required contextual scenery assets, occasionally generating the required assets to spec.
- Collaborating with the art team both internally and externally, acting positively on Art Direction and feedback, to complete the work to a high quality and required art style.
- Interpreting 2d concept art, design requirements and visual reference into high quality 3D landscapes that capture the spirit of the concept as well as the technical dimensions.
- Understanding and accommodating the context of the landscape - how it needs to be set up and its gameplay potential.
- A good team player, willing to work collaboratively and receive feedback and guidance from the rest of the team.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work within an established art style.
- Excellent knowledge of terrain generation software such as Gaea or World Builder.
- Proven experience of landscape generation and texturing using heightmaps and erosion masks.
- Good understanding of SpeedTree modeller.
- Good 3d modelling skills, preferably in Maya and zBrush.
- Strong Substance Designer/Painter and Photoshop texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Familiarity with the entire game landscape creation pipeline: height field generation, texture masks creation, layered material set up, setting up and exporting to game.
- Experience with PBR pipeline and real-time engines.
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, ToD lighting and colour.
- A keen eye for spinning narrative and life into an environment.
- Understanding of best working practices in terms pipeline flow and game optimisation.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- An Art degree or relevant game art course.
- An adaptable attitude to working across a breadth of art styles, from high-detail realism to more cartoon stylisation.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.