Graduate Programmer - Planet Franchise
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Programming – Coding /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Purpose of the role
We're looking for a Graduate Programmer to join the team of talented coders working on our genre leading family of Planet games. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of development on a multi-million-selling multi-platform family of games, and help us deliver a great game experience to players.
- Write code in our proprietary Cobra game engine.
- Develop game features working as part of the coding team.
- Join the team in improving each other’s code through peer review.
- Collaborate with other disciplines (such as Art and Design) to define and improve game features.
- A passion for games and game development.
- Strong problem solving and programming skills.
- Able to communicate effectively both with other programmers and non-technical disciplines.
- Able to write code that is maintainable and understandable by others.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- C++ experience strongly preferred.
- A good understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as Data Structures and Algorithms, ideally through a Computer Science, Maths or similar degree.
- Lua experience beneficial but not essential.
- Some experience developing games either in your own time, as part of your studies, or as an intern (industry experience not essential).
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.