Animation – Animation /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 700 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
An opportunity for an experienced Senior Animator or someone looking for that next step in their career.
As Senior Animator you will be creating animation assets for our games under the guidance of your director and the support of other industry veterans. Our catalogue of games covers a wide range of requirements to fit different animation targets and art styles. We take pride in great character animation, ranging from heavily stylised to realistic behaviours, across both cinematic sequences and realtime motion.
Your passion for animation will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Taking direction from the lead animator and art director to create animation that is consistent with the game's visual design.
- Taking ownership over the animation demands of an entire game feature, from design to implementation.
- Taking an animation all the way from creation to the game engine, using our in-house tools.
- Carrying out supporting animation tasks to ensure a clean representation of our team’s animations in the game engine.
- Able to mentor and help develop junior members of the team.
- Experience working as a professional games animator.
- A confident and creative approach to your animation, able to make interesting acting choices and execute them effectively.
- An eye for animation principals and detail, helping to bring smooth, dynamic and reactive animations to our game.
- An animation showreel that demonstrates an excellent understanding of animation principals, strong character acting skills and experience animating creatures as well as bipeds.
- Professional experience using a 3d animation package (Maya, 3ds max, Blender, XSI etc.).
- Experience working with an animation behaviour tree software (Havoc Behaviour, Unity Mechanim, Unreal State Machines etc.).
- Knowledge of Autodesk Maya.
- Experience creating human animation from a first-person perspective.
- Experience managing small teams of Animators.
- Taking ownership of entire features within a game.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.