Lead Concept Artist
Art – Concept /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
As a Lead Concept Artist, you'll work closely with the creative and art directors to help develop an artistic vision.
You’ll also mentor, manage and guide a team of concept artists, to bring that vision to life through concept art production.
- Support the art director in developing the look and feel of the game.
- Work together with producers, other leads and directors to improve the quality of the project.
- Generate key concepts and set benchmarks.
- Mentor, manage and support a team of concept artists
- Help with recruitment of new concept artists
- Devise and organize the team’s tasks
- Potentially prepare concept briefs for external contractors/Outsource
- Give feedback to the artists
- Ensure deliverables are completed on-time and to the right quality
- Organized, problem solving and striving for the best quality
- Experience building trust and leading a team, mentoring and providing feedback to artists
- Experience producing concept art on several shipped game titles
- Proven observational skills, understanding of anatomy, proportion, scale, perspective, lighting, and colour theory
- Natural desire to create fantastic player experiences.
- Able to produce realistic and stylized designs
- Experience with other mediums and/or industries ( ie. concept art for cinema, sculpting, 3D modeling, motion graphics, vfx etc..)
- Degree in relevant traditional art skill ie. illustration, fine art etc.”
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.