Lead Concept Artist - Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Cambridge / Remote /
Art – Concept /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
As a Lead Concept Artist, you'll work closely with the creative and art directors to help develop an artistic vision.
You’ll also mentor, manage and guide a team of concept artists, to bring that vision to life through concept art production.
- Support the art director in developing the look and feel of the game.
- Work together with producers, other leads and directors to improve the quality of the project.
- Generate key concepts and set benchmarks.
- Mentor, manage and support a team of concept artists
- Help with recruitment of new concept artists
- Devise and organize the team’s tasks
- Potentially prepare concept briefs for external contractors/Outsource
- Give feedback to the artists
- Ensure deliverables are completed on-time and to the right quality
- Organized, problem solving and striving for the best quality
- Experience building trust and leading a team, mentoring and providing feedback to artists
- Experience producing concept art on several shipped game titles
- Proven observational skills, understanding of anatomy, proportion, scale, perspective, lighting, and colour theory
- Natural desire to create fantastic player experiences.
- Able to produce realistic and stylized designs
- Experience with other mediums and/or industries ( ie. concept art for cinema, sculpting, 3D modeling, motion graphics, vfx etc..)
- Degree in relevant traditional art skill ie. illustration, fine art etc.”
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.