Complex Games - Winnipeg – Design /
Founded in 2001, Complex Games has over 20 years' experience with an ambition of becoming a global leader in the development of innovative Tactical RPGs, including the recent success of turn-based PC strategy game Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate – Daemonhunters. The studio is based in Winnipeg, Canada, and employs 20 talented and passionate people including its founders and several other industry veterans. We‘re now growing the team and looking forward to making even more great games in the future as part of Frontier. Come join us!
As part of our continued growth we have a vacancy for a Level Designer to join our fantastic team on Chaos Gate. In this role you will work on exceptional new content to delight our loyal fans, as well as help build exciting new titles we have in the works.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a studio with a track record of delivering successful Tactical RPGs and work with our experienced and passionate teams as you develop your career with us.
This is an on-site role in the Winnipeg Studio (Complex Games). We can offer a relocation package for the right candidate.
- Design and implement levels using the Unity Game engine.
- Collaborate with the art team to achieve visual excellence without compromising gameplay
- Playtesting and balancing to ensure a high level of quality
- Prepare and oversee targeted testing plans to gain constructive insight to improve the quality and playability of game maps.
- Work with the design team to conceive of new Missions, Objectives and then write Clear and concise documentation to support its implementation.
- Experience of designing and delivering levels using current industry standard tools or equivalent proprietary software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Able to take feedback and understand how to interpret it in order to revise and improve on your work
- Good at coping with deadlines, able to make clear and constructive decisions in a timely manner, and remain positive whilst under pressure
- Hold a deep understanding of how your areas of responsibility fit in to the game as a whole
- Able to quickly pick up, analyse and distil game mechanics and systems
- Ability to view games from both player and developer perspectives
- Passionate about turn-based tactics and strategy games
- Previously shipped titles
- Practical experience working on levels in the Unity Game Engine
- Experience adjusting existing systems to refine and balance gameplay
If you have any examples of levels that you have worked on (professional or otherwise) please include them alongside your application.
What we can offer you
You'll work directly with a friendly and experienced team that is striving to push the envelope in the tactical RPG space by creating challenging new worlds with compelling cinematic narratives.
We provide a competitive salary, our Frontier annual bonus scheme and an extended health and benefits plan.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.