Lead UI Developer
Development – Programming /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
As Lead UI Developer, you will be joining a team with over 50 years combined coding experience of working in UI. You will have a big impact on the success of our games, many of which rely heavily on UI to deliver their gameplay systems.
At Frontier, we understand the technical challenges of delivering high quality UI within the strict performance restraints of our industry. You will be responsible for helping your project team meet these challenges by providing quality leadership and technical direction.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Coding – Manage standards for language use within team and across UI department. Identify where team members require assistance with appropriate language use.
- Technical Design – Verify that task breakdowns include generation of appropriate documentation. Indicate where tasks require special attention to technical design.
- Quality Control – Set expectation for quality levels required of deliveries. Identify any missing expertise within the team that contributes to loss of quality.
- Maintenance – Ensure that planning includes contingency for routine maintenance. Evaluate the impact of reacting to emerging maintenance overheads.
- Code ownership – Take ownership of systems. Support sharing of ownership.
- Peer review – Ensure estimates include sufficient contingency for code reviews. Raise visibility of workflow blockers introduced by review.
- Requirements Capture – Proactively engage with the team to fully understand requirements. Ensure that programmers are aware of requirements owners. Resolve disputes between programmers and requirements owners.
- Task Management – Break down large tasks into smaller ones. Refine estimates and breakdowns based on new information. Assist in resolving challenges when tasks are not delivered on time to required quality. Ensure team are aware of active branches.
- Bug Management – Curate bugs assigned to team. Reprioritise bugs based on emerging information.
- Problem Solving – Identify solvable problems within related work. Delegate problem solving within team.
- Testing – Ensure estimates allow time for adequate testing. Check that programmers are applying suitable testing to their work.
- Professional Development - Review members of the ream. Identify areas of development and personal growth for individuals.
- Motivation – Motivates others through example. Proactively motivate programmers in the team, and be vigilant in addressing motivational issues.
- Time Management – Resolve scheduling conflicts and priority clashes. Identify team workflow blockers, and raise opportunities to mitigate these. Balance management responsibilities with technical tasks as the project demands.
- Significant games industry experience of full development lifecycles on multiple complex game titles.
- Critical and analytical thinker.
- Demonstrates resilience under pressure.
- Communicate effectively within a large group and multiple project environment.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.