Lead UI Developer
Development – Programming /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
As Lead UI Developer, you will be joining a team with over 50 years combined coding experience of working in UI. You will have a big impact on the success of our games, many of which rely heavily on UI to deliver their gameplay systems.
At Frontier, we understand the technical challenges of delivering high quality UI within the strict performance restraints of our industry. You will be responsible for helping your project team meet these challenges by providing quality leadership and technical direction.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Coding – Manage standards for language use within team and across UI department. Identify where team members require assistance with appropriate language use.
- Technical Design – Verify that task breakdowns include generation of appropriate documentation. Indicate where tasks require special attention to technical design.
- Quality Control – Set expectation for quality levels required of deliveries. Identify any missing expertise within the team that contributes to loss of quality.
- Maintenance – Ensure that planning includes contingency for routine maintenance. Evaluate the impact of reacting to emerging maintenance overheads.
- Code ownership – Take ownership of systems. Support sharing of ownership.
- Peer review – Ensure estimates include sufficient contingency for code reviews. Raise visibility of workflow blockers introduced by review.
- Requirements Capture – Proactively engage with the team to fully understand requirements. Ensure that programmers are aware of requirements owners. Resolve disputes between programmers and requirements owners.
- Task Management – Break down large tasks into smaller ones. Refine estimates and breakdowns based on new information. Assist in resolving challenges when tasks are not delivered on time to required quality. Ensure team are aware of active branches.
- Bug Management – Curate bugs assigned to team. Reprioritise bugs based on emerging information.
- Problem Solving – Identify solvable problems within related work. Delegate problem solving within team.
- Testing – Ensure estimates allow time for adequate testing. Check that programmers are applying suitable testing to their work.
- Professional Development - Review members of the ream. Identify areas of development and personal growth for individuals.
- Motivation – Motivates others through example. Proactively motivate programmers in the team, and be vigilant in addressing motivational issues.
- Time Management – Resolve scheduling conflicts and priority clashes. Identify team workflow blockers, and raise opportunities to mitigate these. Balance management responsibilities with technical tasks as the project demands.
- Significant games industry experience of full development lifecycles on multiple complex game titles.
- Critical and analytical thinker.
- Demonstrates resilience under pressure.
- Communicate effectively within a large group and multiple project environment.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.