Senior Level Artist - Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Cambridge / Remote /
Art – Level /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
As a Senior Level Artist, you will have the opportunity to work on one or more levels delivering immersive storytelling through stunning visuals that support compelling gameplay in one of our exciting games. The successful candidate will be working on our exciting Warhammer Age of Sigmar title.
You will apply your keen visual, spatial and design skills to various artistic styles covered by Frontier's diverse and growing portfolio. You will also need to combine your understanding of visual style and its relation to the natural world to take even a loose sketch to an inspiring location in-game.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Understand and digest the game design documents to get a feel for the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style to create game levels.
- Understand and follow the visual references whilst respecting the artistic direction.
- Work within the game engine/editors whilst following instructions from the Technical Artist.
- Block out the map with the level designer to show the level intentions.
- Take responsibility for your level, including organising modelling and texturing needs, following up on progress and quality with the Lead Artist
- Discuss level content with the Lead Artist and set out time and planning estimates by order of priority.
- Integrate assets and textures into the level whilst also assembling the key aspects to this. Follow a lighting them in line with the artistic direction of the project.
- A good team player, willing to work collaboratively and receive feedback and guidance from the rest of the team.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work within an established art style.
- Good understanding of SpeedTree modeller.
- Good 3d modelling skills, preferably in Maya and zBrush.
- Strong Substance Designer/Painter and Photoshop texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Proven experience with the entire game landscape creation pipeline: height field generation, texture masks creation, layered material set up, setting up and exporting to game.
- Knowledge of terrain generation software such as Gaea or World Machine.
- Experience with PBR pipeline and real-time engines.
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, ToD lighting and colour.
- A keen eye for spinning narrative and life into an environment.
- Understanding of best working practices in terms pipeline flow and game optimisation.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- An Art degree or relevant game art course.
- An adaptable attitude to working across a breadth of art styles, from high-detail realism to more cartoon stylisation.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.