Engineering Manager - F1 Manager
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Programming – Coding /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to join the F1 Manager Development team. F1 Manager is the officially licensed F1 management sim which aims to offer the most detailed and authentic motorsport management experience on the market. A true AAA management title, F1 Manager combines the instantly recognisable look and feel of F1’s official branding with an exhilarating broadcast-style race day experience.
In your role you will collaborate with the Technical Lead, fellow Engineering Managers, and other stakeholders on the F1 Manager Development team to ensure your team prioritises and produces work to deliver the artistic and creative vision for the game.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team of skilled developers working alongside real-world Formula 1 teams to create one of the most authentic representations of the world's most exciting motorsport. You will play a leading role in guiding your team to build a fantastic game experience for our players.
- Line manage and lead a group of talented and passionate programmers with diverse skillsets, domain knowledge and experience. This will include team development, recruitment, performance management, coaching and mentoring.
- Work with the F1 Manager programming leads and managers on how the engineering team can best achieve the technical direction.
- Supervise and coordinate the planning and delivery of work from the F1 Manager engineering team.
- Promote and support cross discipline collaboration.
- Develop and improve practices like code reviews, documentation, automation, and knowledge sharing
- Identify and resolve skill and resource gaps within the team with a view to delivering the F1 Manager creative team’s vision.
- Optionally keep your programming skills up to date and support the team by identifying appropriate opportunities to make your own hands-on contribution to the code-base.
- Excellent communication skills, which will enable you to motivate your team and get your views and opinions across effectively.
- Proven people management and leadership skills with a passion for developing individuals and teams.
- A programming background in PC and/or console game development is desirable.
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take important decisions.
- Experience with identifying and developing compromises for stakeholders with differing needs.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.