Experienced Tools Programmer
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Programming – Coding /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Our Shared Technology Group is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining our in-house engine Cobra. They also serve as a group of domain experts to advise game teams on technical problems, best practice and use of Cobra for their games.
STG Tools are responsible for content creation and editing Tools for the Cobra engine, working closely with programmers and content creators to understand and influence how assets are built, how the runtime game uses them, and what processes are used to create our games.
As part of STG Tools you will develop and support Cobra with cross project and project specific tools and processes. You will contribute ideas for how to extend Cobra to deliver great workflows for content creators working on game teams, and collaborate with other STG and project programmers to determine how the tooling and runtime components fit together. As an experienced specialist tools programmer you will focus your efforts on tools development, and assist specialists in other areas to understand the code they develop to complement those tools.
You will work closely with programmers and content creators on game projects to understand and influence how assets are built, how the game uses them, and what processes are used to create our games. You will contribute directly to Cobra and its supporting pipelines, take ownership of proprietary tools used with Cobra based games, and promote best-use of existing tools for game development.
- Creating and supporting the development tools that we use to build games.
- Working with other programmers and content creators to design effective workflows and development pipelines.
- Identifying new technologies and processes that will improve the games made with Cobra.
- Writing user and technical documentation.
- Providing mentoring and guidance to programmers to support their growth.
- Evangelising tools and mentoring others in how to use them.
- Passionate about working on tools that will be used by many different developers across a wide range of disciplines.
- Possess analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication and documentation skills.
- Able to effectively manage competing demands for your time.
- Have a strong understanding of how to write maintainable systems.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Advanced knowledge of C# programming.
- Advanced WPF / XAML skills.
- Strong understanding of design patterns and system architecture.
- Strong understanding of source control (SVN, GIT, Perforce etc.).
- Experience in the creation and support of complex software packages.
- Experience in the creation of detailed user and technical documentation.
- Experience in a test-driven development (TDD) environment.
- Experience deploying and supporting tools across multiple game teams.
- Proven collaboration skills within a development team.
- Working knowledge of C++.
- Proven requirements capture and product support skills.
- Experience of staff mentoring.
- Experience with creating UI / UX.
- Experience with contemporary game creation tools and workflows.
- Experience with art content creation packages (i.e. Maya, Photoshop, Substance, ZBrush etc.).
- Experience with scripting languages (Lua, Python).
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.