Engineering Manager (Shared Technology Group - Render)
Development – Programming /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
About Shared Technology Group (STG) and STG Render:
Our Shared Technology Group is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining our in-house engine Cobra. They also serve as a group of domain experts to advise game teams on technical problems, best practice and use of Cobra for their games.
STG Render are responsible for the rendering systems of our Cobra engine and are also the STG domain experts in this field.
Purpose of the role:
As our STG Render Engineering Manager, you will work with a range of game teams and other stakeholders to ensure your team prioritises and delivers work to the STG and various game teams.
A key part of the role is to balance the needs of stakeholders (including those of the Shared Technology Group itself) and work with your team to produce a roadmap of key features for STG Render. You will then work with your team to create a technical plan to deliver this roadmap. As the product owner for our rendering systems you’ll be a significant influencing factor in ensuring ongoing technical innovation and excellence at Frontier.
To be successful in this role you’ll need to be passionate about improvement, efficiency and communication. You’ll work with a diverse team of highly skilled render programmers. You will make valuable contributions to the code-base through both your leadership and hands-on programming.
- Line manage and lead a group of talented and passionate render programmers, including team development, recruitment, performance management, coaching and mentoring
- Serve as the "product owner" for the STG Render team
- Promote and support cross team and discipline collaboration
- Oversee the development and creation of internal documentation, best standards and practices
- Develop and improve practices like code reviews and knowledge sharing
- Identify and resolve skill and resource gaps within the team with a view to delivering the studio’s vision
- Liaise with game teams and core technology in regards to feature requests and deliveries
- Use your technical programming skills and experience to help the team solve complex problems
- Keep your programming skills up to date and support the team by identifying appropriate opportunities to make your own hands-on contribution to the code-base.
- Excellent communication skills, which will enable you to motivate your team and get your views and opinions across effectively
- Proven people management and leadership skills with a passion for developing individuals and teams
- A programming background in PC and/or console game development
- Real-time render programming experience is desirable
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take important decisions
- Experience with identifying and developing compromises for stakeholders with differing needs.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.