Experienced Technical Artist
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Art – Technical Art /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We are looking for an Experienced Technical Artist with strong experience in pipeline and performance. It will be your responsibility to use the knowledge gained from your time within the industry to help both iteratively develop the existing approaches and propose new techniques to meet the technical and visual challenges of delivering a ground-breaking experience.
We are ideally looking for someone with experience on leading games/projects who can help to take ownership of Technical Art on one of our current and upcoming projects.
The role is highly autonomous and we want candidates with a voice, we’ll be counting on your skills experience and knowledge. We’re looking for people with the passion to deliver results that back up the calibre of titles we work on.
- Responsible for leading Technical Art for a project.
- Liaise between the project team and core teams within the studio.
- Create and maintain processes and guidelines that are easily usable by the developers across multiple teams.
- Take responsibility for the technical implementation of artwork, visuals and assets.
- Able to lead and manage a small team of Technical Artists.
- Use your expertise to suggest improvements and simplify processes where possible.
- Work with The Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Render Lead and Tools Lead to effectively develop the correct solution to issues.
- Make hard choices and compromises based on technical constraints, looking for effective solutions for the wider team.
- Be able to espouse direction and workflows to different teams with differing constraints.
- Proven track record of delivering complex technical challenges
- Highly collaborative
- Ability to take a holistic view of issues
- Comfortable with feedback
- Technical Art skills, including:
- Python development
- Maya experience
- Asset management
- Content creation best practises
- Solid understanding of modern game engines
- Confident communicator and fluent in English
- Experience in a similar role within the games industry
- Strategic experience—planning, pipeline improvements, asset management, risk assessment
- Leadership experience—mentoring/leading more junior members of the team
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.