Development – Art /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We are looking for a Full/Senior Technical Artist with experience in pipeline and performance specifically in the genre of racing games. It will be your responsibility to use the knowledge gained from your time within the genre to help both iteratively develop the existing approaches and propose new techniques to meet the technical and visual challenges of delivering a ground-breaking experience. You’ll be working with content creators and programmers to deliver this and it’s key you’re able to build good working relationships between diverse departments.
The role is highly autonomous and we want candidates with a voice, we’ll be counting on your skills experience and knowledge. We’re looking for people with the passion to deliver results that back up the calibre of titles we work on. This is one of the key roles within our team and we’re looking for candidates whose aspirations match. If you believe you have the skills and passion for this role we would love to hear from you!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Be the main point of contact for Technical Art within the project.
- Liaise between the project team and core teams within the studio.
- Create and maintain processes and guidelines that are easily usable by the developers across multiple teams.
- Take responsibility for the technical implementation of artwork, visuals and assets.
- Use your expertise to suggest improvements and simplify processes where possible.
- Work with The Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Render Lead and Tools Lead to effectively develop the correct solution to issues.
- Make hard choices and compromises based on technical constraints, looking for effective solutions for the wider team.
- Be able to espouse direction and workflows to different teams with differing constraints.
- Proven track record of delivering complex technical challenges
- Highly collaborative
- Ability to take a holistic view of issues
- Comfortable with feedback
- Technical Art skills, including:
- Python development
- Maya experience
- Asset management
- Content creation best practises
- Solid understanding of modern game engines
- Confident communicator and fluent in English
- 2+ years’ experience in the games industry
- Strategic experience—planning, pipeline improvements, asset management, risk assessment
- Leadership experience—mentoring/leading more junior members of the team
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.