Senior Full Stack Engineer - Funerals
What pops into your head when you think of death? Tombstones? Top hats? Grey, drab Victoriana?… It’s probably not a cheery picture.
At Farewill we set out to change the way the world deals with death. With our three award winning products - wills, probate & cremations - we’re at the forefront of helping people to deal with the inevitable, making every death a simple, affordable, Brighter Goodbye.
1. #1 Death tech company in the UK
2. 14,000+ reviews on Trustpilot at 4.9/5
3. NPS in the 90s across all products
4. £28m raised from top investors
5. UK’s Biggest Will Writer
6. £850m pledged to charity
7. Tonnes of awards: 4x National Will Company of the Year, 2x Best Probate Company, 2x Best Direct Cremation Provider
8. Lean, high-octane team of 65
9. Hybrid & based in East London (2 days in the office)
About the role:
This role is all about building. We’re in the privileged position to help people at some of the hardest times in their lives, and we’re passionate about doing the best job possible.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a lean, dedicated, high performing team as a senior engineer - working to both inform strategy, own much of our backend infrastructure, and make a real difference to our customers. Not for the faint hearted!
You’ll report into Michael Hefferan (VP Eng) and work closely with Matt Morgan (Funerals Product Director) and the rest of our funerals product team.
Over the next year, this will be focused on:
1. Improving and evolving our award winning funerals product
2. Building industry leading internal tooling for our customer-facing teams
3. Launching our top-secret new product!
As a senior contributor in a tight engineering org of 8 you’ll have a lot of influence and responsibility in the business, and will be a senior stakeholder for many of our most important projects.
There are three qualities we’re looking for in this role:
#1 An enthusiast! Someone who loves building stuff that delivers value to customers
When push comes to shove, you love building great products and putting them in real peoples’ hands (and overcoming all of the obstacles along the way).
Focus is gold dust for engineering teams. 80% of execution issues come from the lack of it. In your work as an engineer you have spent time understanding the numbers you are trying to move and have focused on moving them. Understanding the business impact of your work has enabled you to make solid architectural decisions as you scale.
Then, when the time for action comes, you go for it with maximum energy, passion and drive. And get it done!
#2 A technical expert
You have real depth in web based technologies and architecture, especially backend skills. You’ll be strong on relational data modelling and API design and will be comfortable managing technical debt and ambiguous requirements.
#3 A great communicator
We work in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver amazing results. Teamwork is essential and great comms are a huge part of that. You’ll be someone who can communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical people in a way that enables them to understand the trade offs. You’ll probably also enjoy mentoring and teaching more junior developers.
What we offer:
- A salary of £85-95k + stock options
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Personal development budget of 3 days and £1000 per year
- Regular team socials & company-wide events
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths
Our hiring process:
- You will have an initial conversation with someone from our Recruiting team. We’ll be keen to learn more about you and your experience, and to tell you more about Farewill
- You’ll then have interviews (onsite or remotely) with our VP Engineering, members of our product and engineering teams who will talk to you in more depth about your experience, and technical and managerial expertise. This will involve a functional task to allow you to demonstrate your skills and to give you a better flavour for the role
- Lastly, everyone who joins our team meets with a member of our Exec team
Making your application as smooth as possible:
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, get in touch anyway. Ability and attitude is just as important as experience.
At Farewill, our mission is to change the way the world deals with death - to make it simple, personal, fairly-priced & accessible to everyone. To do that, we want to build a workplace that’s great for everyone, that celebrates diversity in all its forms, and where everyone who works for us is treated fairly, equitably and respectfully.
We believe flexibility is important, so we’re happy to chat to you about flexible working options. If you need any adjustments in our interview process to help set you up for success, then please let us know.