Senior Solicitor, Wills
All of us are going to die. It’s a fundamental, tragic, romantic part of what it is to be human. But the services that should be supporting us haven't changed in decades.
From writing your will to planning a funeral, the way we deal with death is formal, complicated and expensive. Instead of feeling supported, people feel lost.
But it doesn’t need to be this way. We started Farewill to make the experience warmer, brighter and friendlier.
We’re the UK's biggest will writer and one of the leading funeral companies in the country. Our generous customers have pledged over £850 million to charities, through donations left in their wills.
We’re backed by top investors who are as excited by our mission as we are, and we’ve won awards for the work we’ve done. But there’s a lot more to do.
We’re one of the most forward thinking consumer legal businesses in Europe, and we’re looking for a Senior Solicitor, Wills who is excited to do things differently. This person will be Farewill’s leading expert on wills, reporting directly to our Head of Legal. They’ll use their knowledge and expertise to ensure that our products and services are of the highest standard. It’s a unique opportunity for someone to make a significant impact in advancing the growth of our wills product, while bringing some much needed modernisation to an important industry.
- Translate wills legal considerations into commercial and practical advice that advances business growth.
- Find creative ways to apply the law to the way we design and operate our products, which generally leverage technology.
- Participate in presentations to new and existing charity partners.
- Provide technical legal support to our wills specialists and customer experience specialists.
- Support drafting of more complex wills.
- Be the day-to-day point of escalation for questions and issues related to wills from across the business, in particular, from our wills specialists.
- Consult on product design improvements and operational process changes to ensure a flawless customer experience on the legal aspects of our wills products and services.
- Design, develop and deliver wills training to ensure that our wills specialists are delivering a high standard of service.
- Provide quality assurance by checking wills for accuracy and compliance with legal requirements.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation, case law and industry practice and keep clause banks up-to-date.
- Work closely with our Head of Legal to continuously identify, manage, and mitigate risk across the business.
- You’re qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales, with 10+ years experience in wills, probate and Lasting Powers of Attorney.
- You have a deep knowledge of tax and trusts.
- Ideally you’re knowledgeable about NI and Scottish wills; if not, we’re looking for a willingness to undertake training to upskill in this area.
- Ideally you’re STEP/SFE qualified.
- You’re commercially-minded, pragmatic and solutions-focussed.
- You’re excited by working at a fast pace, and are keen to grow in a startup environment.
- You keep it simple, and explain things clearly and succinctly.
- You sweat the details, and help the team produce accurate work.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary + stock options.
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays.
- Personal development budget of 3 days and £1000 per year.
- Regular team socials & company-wide events.
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths.
- A flexible approach to work, including a WFH budget and a bright and friendly office in East London (Haggerston) where you’ll spend a minimum of two days a week.
- And much more!
Making your application as smooth as possible:
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, get in touch anyway. Ability and attitude is just as important as experience.
At Farewill, our mission is to change the way the world deals with death - to make it simple, personal, fairly-priced & accessible to everyone. To do that, we want to build a workplace that’s great for everyone, that celebrates diversity in all its forms, and where everyone who works for us is treated fairly, equitably and respectfully.
We believe flexibility is important, so we’re happy to chat to you about flexible working options. If you need any adjustments in our interview process to help set you up for success, then please let us know.