Mission Coordinator and Medic-Research vessel
Cruise Ships – Deck Department /
The Mission Coordinator and Medic is responsible for coordinating and managing the daily operations of a research vessel, with the added responsibility of providing medical care to all onboard. This includes planning and executing research missions, coordinating with the ship's crew and scientific team, ensuring the safety and well-being of all onboard, and providing medical treatment and first aid as needed.
• Plan and execute research missions, including coordinating with the ship's crew and scientific team to ensure all necessary equipment and supplies are on board.
• Lead the Medical emergency response team on board.
• Responsible for maintaining stocks of all medical equipment and supplies onboard.
• Provide medical treatment and first aid as needed, including administering medications, dressing wounds, and stabilizing injuries.
• Training of other personnel in medical first aid as required.
• Implement COVID-19 Protocols and testing routines.
• Monitor weather conditions, consult with team leaders, and adjust the mission plan as necessary.
• Ensure the safety and well-being of all onboard, including monitoring for hazards and responding to emergency situations.
• Co-ordinate each department to ensure accurate records are maintained of the ship's operations, including research data, equipment maintenance records, and medical records.
• Coordinate logistics and supplies, such as fuel, food, water, and medical supplies with Purser, Shoreside Purser, Chief Engineer.
• Provide guidance and support to the ship's crew and scientific team with daily operations.
• Driving Zodiacs and tenders as required.
• Continuously monitor the progress of the mission, identifying and addressing any issues that arise.
• Liaising with Program Manager on expedition updates
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as marine biology, oceanography, or environmental science would be an advantage.
• Certification as a dive medic, paramedic, EMT, or another medical professional
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in a similar role, ideally on a research vessel
• Strong communication and organizational skills
• Ability to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong understanding of maritime safety and emergency procedures
• Strong understanding of navigation and ship operations
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS office.
• Strong medical knowledge and skills, including experience with emergency medicine and wilderness medicine.
• Ability to work in a marine environment and tolerate extended periods of time at sea.
• Ability to climb ladders and navigate tight spaces.
• Ability to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 25kg