Senior Software Engineer C++
Science & Technology – Cyber & Quantum Technologies /
In this role, you will be part of the group that develops, maintains and supports our flagship cybersecurity platform. You will work closely with your colleagues to design and implement new features, as well as troubleshooting issues and solving problems. You will undertake other related tasks that are typical for a software engineer. This will involve collaborating closely with our internal architects, establishing testing pipelines for new software, etc. Your manager is technical and
Overall, our main development language is C++, and therefore a good understanding of C++ is required. We have different products for different use-cases, with our main product being cloud-based and written in C++ with some Rust. We also have client-based software, again written predominantly in C++.
We maintain CLIs rather than GUIs for our tools, and GUI experience is not required, though naturally if you have experience in this area it would be good to hear it! We use relatively standard development practices that will be familiar to most (Git, Artifactory, Jira for Kanban ticket management). The team generally uses CLion for development, but you can use the tools that are best for you and the task at hand. The software engineering manager comes from a technical background, having previously been a senior software engineer and technical lead themselves, and continues to use this knowledge to support the team.
Job Role and Responsibilities:
- Working both independently and as part of the team to develop, maintain and expand Quantinuum’s cybersecurity software suite in a manner typical of a senior software engineer
- Adapting to new programming languages and frameworks, as needed. We will support you with formal (paid) and informal (internal) training, including the time to train.
- Providing support and guidance to others in areas of technical expertise.
- Identifying areas where personal improvement is necessary and working with the Manager to identify suitable training.
- Presenting and demonstrating to others on your work and progress.
- Taking ownership of projects or parts of projects to ensure effective delivery.
- Working with internal stakeholders (Product and Solutions teams) to identify technical requirements for projects.
- Working independently, or as part of a team, to design products and integrations.
- Ensuring code quality through development of automated tests and participation in peer reviews.
- Keeping tickets up-to-date with current status. Creating new tickets as necessary.
- Identifying areas of potential improvement throughout our products and work processes, and informing others of your findings.
- You may be asked to mentor or guide junior members of the team.
- To have the requisite knowledge to perform the duties and responsibilities of the role detailed above.
- A strong ability to develop, maintain and expand software, independently and within a team.
- A track record of previous successful software development, preferably with experience of working with commercial customers.
- A very good working knowledge of C++, as well as good knowledge of Bash and Python to support testing. Experience working with databases, HTTP connections, APIs and other associated skills.
- Good knowledge of tools and toolchains that can accelerate and improve software development. This might include Docker, CI/CD tools, Kubernetes, etc.
- Familiarity with standard collaboration tools such as Git. Familiarity with setting up or supporting technical tools and pipelines (e.g. CI/CD) to improvement software development.
- Experience leading technical discussions on a range of topics.
- Good written and verbal communication. The ability to explain complicated topics in an easy-to-understand way.
- An active enthusiasm to learn new skills and technologies as needed. We will support you with high-quality training.
- A relevant degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or a related discipline, or the knowledge and experience equivalent
- Identifying areas of technical knowledge where others may benefit from additional support or training and discussing this privately with the Manager
- Cloud deployment technologies, including Kubernetes and Helm
- Secure design and secure implementation
- Intel SGX technology, including designing, implementing and supporting such code
- Azure (preferred), AWS or Google Cloud for setting up virtual machines, deploying networks, etc.
- Cryptography, and cryptographic protocols. Designing the use of secure cryptography within a system.
- Hardware Security Modules (HSMs), including both technical and non-technical knowledge.
- Rust, Go or other languages.
- Deploying high-reliability cloud services
- Quantum scientific research, and quantum technologies
- Entropy generation and analysis
A good working understanding of…
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package, equity, 28 days of paid holiday (in addition to public holidays), a workplace pension, a positive approach to flexible working and enhanced parental and adoption benefits.
Science Led and Enterprise Driven.
Our team of scientists is leading the way in the development of quantum computing. The world’s largest integrated quantum computing company, we united Cambridge Quantum’s advanced software development with Honeywell Quantum Solutions’ high-fidelity hardware to accelerate quantum computing. With full-stack technology, we’re scaling quantum computing and developing applications to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. We could be even better with you!
At Quantinuum, we believe quantum information systems will revolutionize the way we work and live. We are leading the way by helping our customers develop quantum-enabled solutions that provide a competitive-edge in their markets.
We’re hiring the world’s best talent to make it happen. Join us! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOKNC2O38
Please note that employment with us is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks. We are an inclusive equal opportunity employer. You will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.