Quantum Machine Learning Scientist
Science & Technology – Machine Learning and Applied Quantum Algorithms /
Quantinuum is looking for an Applied Scientist to expand its Machine Learning and Quantum Algorithms division.
As a member of a dedicated team of scientists, you will participate in and shape our research programme by designing algorithms that combine machine learning methods, statistical techniques and quantum computing for novel applications; you will implement and benchmark your algorithms on the best quantum computing hardware available, in-house and from our partners. You will share your ideas with the wider research community by publishing significant results in peer-reviewed journals and by presenting them at international conferences. Your enthusiasm for learning about new application domains will be essential for the success of our external R&D collaborations with industry partners. With guidance from fellow team members, you will be expected to develop the skills necessary for supporting external collaborations via scientific scoping, problem formulation, and implementation of prototype solutions using quantum algorithms.
Quantum Machine Learning at Quantinuum
The goal of the Machine Learning and Quantum Algorithms team at Quantinuum is to make the most of today’s quantum computers with innovative quantum algorithms and a view toward early applications across industries. Our research often combines concepts from classical machine learning and advanced statistics, such as generative models, energy-based models and probabilistic inference, with quantum computing concepts such as quantum signal processing and parameterised quantum circuits. This role is compatible with multiple research backgrounds: either you are a classical ML or statistics researcher and wish to develop into a quantum computing role, or you come from a quantum computing background and are interested in applying your expertise to machine learning and related computational problems. The team is committed to supporting your development in either case.
- Conduct research at the interface of machine learning and quantum computing
- Collaborate with scientists in a dynamic team and contribute to ongoing research projects in quantum machine learning
- Communicate progress of research collaborations and publicise results in the wider research community
- Assist scientific project managers in scientific scoping of external R&D collaborations
- Develop prototype code and support technical deliverables of external R&D collaborations
- Familiarity with either research-level ML and desire to combine this with quantum computing or familiarity with current research in quantum algorithms and desire to work on machine learning techniques
- PhD in quantum physics, mathematics, computer science, or related field (Master’s with a strong research record will also be considered)
- Ability to work independently with internal and external teams from diverse research backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for applying research to industrially relevant problems in creative but hands-on ways
- Proven ability to publish research in quantum computing or machine learning in peer-reviewed journals or high-impact conferences
- Ability to implement quantum or ML algorithms in a high-level language (e.g. Python) and with relevant tools, such as JAX, PyTorch, SciPy, tket, Qiskit etc.
- Familiarity with current quantum computer capabilities and their implementation aspects
- Ability to clearly communicate scientific results to a technical audience
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package, equity, 28 days of paid holiday (in addition to public holidays), a workplace pension, a positive approach to flexible working and enhanced parental and adoption benefits.
Science Led and Enterprise Driven.
Our team of scientists is leading the way in the development of quantum computing. The world’s largest integrated quantum computing company, we united Cambridge Quantum’s advanced software development with Honeywell Quantum Solutions’ high-fidelity hardware to accelerate quantum computing. With full-stack technology, we’re scaling quantum computing and developing applications to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. We could be even better with you!
At Quantinuum, we believe quantum information systems will revolutionize the way we work and live. We are leading the way by helping our customers develop quantum-enabled solutions that provide a competitive-edge in their markets.
We’re hiring the world’s best talent to make it happen. Join us! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOKNC2O38
Please note that employment with us is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks. We are an inclusive equal opportunity employer. You will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.