Quantum Research Scientist - Germany/Munich
Science & Technology – Quantum Software & Algorithms /
Cambridge Quantum (CQ) is a global leader in quantum computing. Our software helps our partners, collaborators, and clients to solve the most difficult problems in their industries through quantum computing. Our focus is in the areas of quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning, quantum algorithms and quantum encryption.
Quantum Research Scientist - Germany/Munich
We are looking for Research Scientists with experience in Quantum Algorithms. This team will be based in Germany/Munich. You will invent new algorithms, improve existing ones, benchmark their performance and estimate resource requirements. Preferential access to quantum hardware will enable you to design your algorithms using the real data output of state-of-the-art devices. We have an academic culture, with flexible work hours and time to develop your own ideas. You will work in a group of scientists with a diverse range of expertise. Through our network of industrial and academic partners, you will get access to concrete problems and domain-specific know-how. You will disseminate your results by publishing and giving talks. Your contribution will be an important step in our pursuit of industrially useful quantum advantage.
We are committed to Deep Work and put processes in place that allow all of our scientists large chunks of uninterrupted focus every day. Developing your own ideas is encouraged. We embrace diversity and inclusion.
We are currently in the process of establishing Cambridge Quantum Deutschland GmbH which will serve as the European Union headquarters for CQ and is an important part of our global effort to pioneer the development of quantum computing software. As a key commercial and scientific hub, it is expected that CQ Deutschland will enable us to play an important role and participate in the development of quantum science and technology in Germany. In 2020, the German Federal Government demonstrated its support by announcing €2bn of investment in quantum technologies as part of the stimulus package for the future. In June 2021, Cambridge Quantum announced a merger with Honeywell Quantum Solutions (subject to standard regulatory and corporate approvals).
- Carry out original research, based on both your own ideas and on customer demands
- Write manuscripts and see them through the publication process
- Assist in the implementation of your algorithms in our quantum development frameworks t|ket> and EUMEN.
- Communicate progress and disseminate results
- Help with technical details of grant proposals
- Teach your research and field of expertise to junior members of the team
- A PhD in a quantitative subject (e.g., physics, mathematics, computer science)
- Published Research in any of the following areas:
- Application of Tensor Networks in Quantum Chemistry
- Application of Tensor Networks in Condensed Matter
- Machine Learning (Classical or Quantum)
- Open Quantum Systems
- Computational Material Science
- Experimental implementation of superconducting qubits
- Experimental implementation of ion traps
- Integrability in exactly solvable quantum systems
- Analog Quantum Simulation e.g., with Cold Atoms
- Quantum Error Correction
- Quantum Algorithms & Complexity Theory
- Quantum Compilation
- Familiarity with Python
- Some roles require familiarity with High-Performance Scientific Computing
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package including equity participation, 28 day’s paid annual leave, a workplace pension and a positive approach to flexible working.
Founded in 2014, CQ operates at the very core of quantum computing and is backed by some of the world’s leading partners with strong domain expertise including IBM, Honeywell and JSR Corp. Our core focus is in quantum software and enterprise applications in the area of quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning, and quantum encryption. With over 150 professionals, CQ has a strong and unique scientific grounding in terms of its core team with over 100 scientists, of which over 70 are Ph.D. holders. CQ has a “Science Led; Enterprise Driven” approach and built a tier one ecosystem of customers, investors, and partners including IBM, Honeywell, JSR Corp, Total, Nippon Steel, and many other Fortune 500 companies. We are in the process of expanding our operations significantly across our offices in Cambridge (U.K.), Oxford, London, Washington, DC, and Tokyo.
In June 2021, CQ announced a merger with Honeywell Quantum Solutions (HQS), a Honeywell business unit and maker of the highest performing quantum computer currently available. Honeywell has been an investor in and commercial partner with Cambridge Quantum since 2019. The deal is intended to close in Q4 this calendar year and is subject to the satisfaction of certain regulatory approvals, and other customary closing conditions.
Please note that employment at CQ is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks.
CQ is an inclusive equal opportunity employer