Quantum Software Development Manager
Science & Technology – Quantum Software & Algorithms /
Cambridge Quantum Computing (CQC) is a global leader in software and enterprise applications that help its partners, collaborators, and clients to work effortlessly across multiple platforms and solve some of the most intriguing problems in their industry through quantum computing. Our focus is in the areas of quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning, and quantum encryption.
CQC has a strong and unique scientific grounding in terms of its core team with over 80 scientists, of which over 60 are Ph.D. holders. We are in the process of expanding our operations significantly across our offices in Cambridge (U.K.), Oxford, London, Washington, DC, and Tokyo.
About the role
Our aim is to solve computational problems using quantum computers and provide tools to allow others to do the same, through the creation of quantum application software.
You will be working very closely with the Head of Quantum Software in managing the division, giving your input into the technical and commercial direction. Within this context you will specifically be responsible for the development of CQC’s software platform, comprising our compiler, cloud based infrastructure & services and programming environments. In doing so you will look to implement project management techniques to shape and drive projects through their full lifecycle, balancing resource and capability requirements. You will also use your knowledge and experience to help coach and support our scientific and technical teams in their delivery. This role will have a lot of variety and be key to the effective functioning of the division.
As CQC participates in many different collaboration projects and partnerships with various partners, institutions, such as leading tech companies, start-ups, universities and government agencies, which can involve grants, funding and other collaboration initiatives. You will support in managing these arrangements, including writing proposals, managing budgets and relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Any experience in this area will be advantageous.
You will come from a scientific background, but importantly will enjoy working on broader business matters including developing our teams, leading collaborations with our partners and helping to manage the many exciting scientific and operational projects we are working on.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Manage the software development for our compiler, cloud infrastructure & services and programming environment.
- Hire, grow, coach, and lead teams of engineers to build, scale, monitor, and optimise our applications.
- Help shape the technical roadmap for product development, defining release schedules and timelines.
- Establish and maintain high standards of reliability, scalability, performance and quality, ensuring we define and meet new release deadlines.
- Lead the team to carry out original research and benchmarking to maintain our leading position in the sector. Lead collaborations with partners, such as quantum hardware companies, start-ups, universities and government agencies.
- A scientific background, including either an MSc or a PhD in computer science, physics, mathematics or engineering.
- Significant software development experience, ideally in scientific software or highly technical applications, ideally using C++ and/or python.A significant interest in quantum computing research.
- Demonstrates increased in responsibility, including people leadership. Excellent written and verbal communicator, with both scientific and non-scientific stakeholders.
- A background in quantum computing.
- Knowledge of category theory.
- Experience of designing and building cloud services.
- Experience in project management methodologies.
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package including equity participation, 28 day’s paid annual leave, a workplace pension and a positive approach to flexible working.
Founded in 2014, CQC operates at the very core of quantum computing and is backed by some of the world’s leading partners with strong domain expertise including IBM, Honeywell and JSR Corp. Our core focus is in quantum software and enterprise applications in the area of quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning, and quantum encryption. With over 130 professionals, CQC has a strong and unique scientific grounding in terms of its core team with over 80 scientists, of which over 60 are Ph.D. holders. CQC has a “Science Led; Enterprise Driven” approach and built a tier one ecosystem of customers, investors, and partners including IBM, Honeywell, JSR Corp, Total, Nippon Steel, and many other Fortune 500 companies.
Please note that employment at CQC is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks. CQC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer