Research Scientist (Theoretical Cryptography)
Science & Technology – Cyber & Quantum Technologies /
Quantinuum has developed a range of technologies and recently launched the first self-testing quantum random number generator based on quantum correlations. This is currently implemented on quantum computers and also, in the future, on a single-purpose device. Deployment of this technology in the cryptography space is paving the way for new levels of information security.
Location: London, Cambridge or Oxford (Hybrid and flexible working arrangements available) This role requires the candidate to work in the UK with travel to one of the offices. We will support relocation.
About the role:
As a researcher in theoretical cryptography you will work in our quantum cryptography team, which combines expertise in different fields such as quantum information, quantum and general cryptography, mathematics and experimental physics. Our group researches and develops quantum-based solutions to problems in cryptography, see  for a sample of our work. Examples include quantum random number generators, key distribution and other cryptographic tasks with a quantum advantage. Our team works closely with the optics and engineering teams for the real-world implementation and deployment of our products.
In this role you will bring your expertise in computer science and/or cryptography (not necessarily related to quantum) to find solutions to the different problems faced both by cryptography in a quantum world but also the ones faced by quantum-based cryptography. One such example is randomness extractors , which are both essential in quantum cryptography and also need to be made quantum-proof . To thrive in this role you will be given the freedom to learn and will be expected to enjoy working in an interdisciplinary team.
In summary, you will:
● Research and design new cryptography applications with a quantum advantage, together with their security proofs.
● Find innovative solutions to the problems faced by cryptography in a quantum world and to the challenges faced in quantum-based cryptography.
● Develop and implement mathematical schemes and algorithms, e.g. randomness extractors, error correcting codes and other cryptographic primitives.
- Theoretical background in computer science and/or cryptography.
- MSc (or equivalent experience) in computer science, mathematics, physics or a related field.
- Familiarity with quantum-based and/or post-quantum cryptography.
- Capacity and desire to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- PhD (or equivalent experience) in computer science, mathematics, physics or a related field.
- Good programming skills (E.g. Python, C/C++ and/or other).
- Experience working on a topic involving quantum.
- Knowledge of mathematical algorithms useful in cryptography, such as randomness extractors or error correcting codes.
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package, 28 days of paid holiday (in addition to public holidays), a workplace pension and a positive approach to flexible working.
Science Led and Enterprise Driven.
Our team of scientists is leading the way in the development of quantum computing. The world’s largest integrated quantum computing company, we united Cambridge Quantum’s advanced software development with Honeywell Quantum Solutions’ high-fidelity hardware to accelerate quantum computing. With full-stack technology, we’re scaling quantum computing and developing applications to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. We could be even better with you!
At Quantinuum, we believe quantum information systems will revolutionize the way we work and live. We are leading the way by helping our customers develop quantum-enabled solutions that provide a competitive-edge in their markets.
We’re hiring the world’s best talent to make it happen. Join us! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOKNC2O38
Please note that employment with us is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks. We are an inclusive equal opportunity employer. You will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.