Senior Software Developer
Science & Technology – Quantum Software & Algorithms /
Cambridge Quantum (CQ) is a global leader in quantum computing. Our software helps our partners, collaborators, and clients to solve the most difficult problems in their industries through quantum computing. Our focus is in the areas of quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning, quantum algorithms and quantum encryption.
The company’s Cambridge-based quantum software team is seeking to hire a senior software developer. This is a full time position. You will be working on the design and implementation of our quantum software development platform. You will focus on the programming environment and runtime system, but will contribute across our entire platform, including the Tket compiler.
This position requires a background in Computer Science or Scientific Computation. The position involves software development primarily in C++ and Python. You will be collaborating with a small team, and will have input in the entire development process through research, design, programming and testing. You will have the freedom to think independently and creatively in the team and make a real impact.
- Significant software development experience, preferably in C/C++.
- Wide knowledge of programming languages and paradigms.
- Experience of designing large software systems.
- Comfortable and experienced working on software with a team, communicating ideas, and writing code that can be understood by others.
- Experience with collaboration tools (e.g. version control, bug tracking systems) and general programming tools (e.g. a debugger, profiler, software testing tools).
- A 2:1 degree or higher in Mathematics, Computer Science, Science, or Engineering.
- Ability to understand technical and advanced research material and transfer new ideas into code.
- Knowledge of quantum computing, quantum algorithms, or quantum information.
- Experience with formal methods and/or type theory in practice
- Familiarity with Python.
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package including equity participation, 28 day’s paid annual leave, a workplace pension and a positive approach to flexible working.
Founded in 2014, CQ operates at the very core of quantum computing and is backed by some of the world’s leading partners with strong domain expertise including IBM, Honeywell and JSR Corp. Our core focus is in quantum software and enterprise applications in the area of quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning, and quantum encryption. With over 150 professionals, CQ has a strong and unique scientific grounding in terms of its core team with over 100 scientists, of which over 70 are Ph.D. holders. CQ has a “Science Led; Enterprise Driven” approach and built a tier one ecosystem of customers, investors, and partners including IBM, Honeywell, JSR Corp, Total, Nippon Steel, and many other Fortune 500 companies. We are in the process of expanding our operations significantly across our offices in Cambridge (U.K.), Oxford, London, Washington, DC, and Tokyo.
In June 2021, CQ announced a merger with Honeywell Quantum Solutions (HQS), a Honeywell business unit and maker of the highest performing quantum computer currently available. Honeywell has been an investor in and commercial partner with Cambridge Quantum since 2019. The deal is intended to close in Q4 this calendar year and is subject to the satisfaction of certain regulatory approvals, and other customary closing conditions.
Please note that employment at CQ is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks.
CQ is an inclusive equal opportunity employer