Optical Systems Engineer/Physicist
Science & Technology – Cyber & Quantum Technologies /
Our cybersecurity division is developing a number of quantum-related technologies to enhance the security of our enterprise customers. This includes the world’s only quantum random number generator (QRNG) that uses quantum computers to produce unbiased entropy.
We are looking for an aspiring physicist or engineer who has a broad knowledge within physics, electronics, and optics. The ideal candidate will also have experience applying their knowledge to the development of hardware products in an engineering environment. In this role you will be working to develop, within the photonics R&D team, practical quantum photonic devices for cybersecurity applications. You will also have the opportunity to work with and learn from leading scientists and engineers in the wider cybersecurity team.
- Coming up with novel and innovative ideas and solutions in device development
- Validating new and current hardware designs
- Prototyping of concepts and development of these through the TRLs
- Working with third parties to facilitate the manufacture of devices
- Ensuring that all device and product requirements are captured and met
- A good understanding of optics
- Experience with electronics, and PCB design and testing
- Experience with CAD software (e.g. Solidworks, KiCAD, Autodesk)
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Programming experience and knowledge of how to interface with equipment
- Degree in Physics, Engineering or another STEM subject.
- Experience with optics simulation software (e.g. Zemax, FRED, CODE V)
- Experience using COMSOL or equivalent Multiphysics simulation software
- Some understanding of quantum mechanics/optics/information
- Hands-on experience with 3D printing and rapid prototyping
- Experience working with optoelectronics, particularly LEDs, lasers, and photodiodes
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package, 28 days of paid holiday (in addition to public holidays), a workplace pension and a positive approach to flexible working.
Science Led and Enterprise Driven.
Our team of scientists is leading the way in the development of quantum computing. The world’s largest integrated quantum computing company, we united Cambridge Quantum’s advanced software development with Honeywell Quantum Solutions’ high-fidelity hardware to accelerate quantum computing. With full-stack technology, we’re scaling quantum computing and developing applications to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. We could be even better with you!
At Quantinuum, we believe quantum information systems will revolutionize the way we work and live. We are leading the way by helping our customers develop quantum-enabled solutions that provide a competitive-edge in their markets.
We’re hiring the world’s best talent to make it happen. Join us! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOKNC2O38
Please note that employment with us is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks. We are an inclusive equal opportunity employer. You will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.